Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Great Vegetarian/Healthy meal

Well, had some lentils in the cupboard and thought I would try out a new recipe I found in a Betty Crocker cookbook, slightly changed of course (because I slightly change all recipes). This was very tasty and satisfying and healthy. To make it vegetarian completely, just use vegetable broth/stock instead of chicken.

Lentils and Brown Rice

3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 small onion, diced
Olive Oil
1 small green pepper, diced
16 oz low-sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup dry lentils, soaked and rinses
1/2 cup uncooked brown rice
6 oz water
1 tbsp hot sauce
Italian cheese to finish it off on top to serve (optional)

Cook onion and garlic in olive oil till translucent. Add everything else and bring to a boil then turn it to simmer for about 50 minutes, stirring occasionally and adding more water if necessary (I didn't need to). Sprinkle with cheese on top. I served with cranberry sauce, apples, and celery, and cooked broccoli.

It was very yummy and had enough flavor, which I was actually surprised at!

No comments: