Sunday, March 16, 2008

Cooking with Mom - Roasted Vegetable Stew


My parents are in town this weekend. I had my mom find a recipe we could make - she picked this. Enjoy - it was really good - but a two person recipe (for all the chopping)
Roasted Root Vegetable Stew

2 cups chopped carrots
2 cups chopped beets
I cup chopped turnips
1 cup chopped parsnips
12 shallots - peeled and halved
1 garlic head - peeled, cloved
olive oil
fresh parsley and sage (about 2 tsp each)
2 tsp chopped, minced fresh ginger
3 cups veggie broth
s/p to taste
topping - sour cream
Roast first 7 ingredients on a sheet pan at 450 for 30 minutes. Take out and put the rest and the veggies in a dutch oven over medium heat for 30 minutes. When done, I mashed up all the veggies with a potato masher - or you could use an immersion blender. Great color and good taste - the roasting of the veggies brings out the sweetness of it. Mom and Dad both liked it and it will serve as leftovers this week.

No comments: