Sunday, March 30, 2008

First times with Chicken


I love the smell of a chicken cooking (boiling) on the stove. It is such a home-y smell! Today was a day like that - kinda rainy and dreary outside (but at least warmer) and basketball on the tv (reminds me of a Shenandoah song).
But, I made some Gumbo (from the April Everyday Food), some Chicken and Dumplins with peas, Chicken salad (and some hummus, but it didn't have chicken in it).
Chicken Gumbo (I will have to make some rice for it, because right now it is a little too oil-y for me because there was no rice in it to drink up the roux)
1/4 cup canola oil
1/3 cup flour
2 red peppers, chopped
1 onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tsp oregano
1 frozen bag cut okra
1 pkg fully cooked andouille sausage
4 cups cooked chicken
4 cups water or broth
Heat oil and stir together flour till milky consistency. Add veggies (not yet for the okra) and saute till softened, about 10 minutes. Then add the broth (I did 2 cups broth, 2 cups water), okra, and sausage. Bring to boil and then add chicken. Warm through. Very easy for a 30 minute gumbo recipe. I added some red pepper flakes and hot sauce (because gumbo is supposed to be spicy).

Chicken and Dumplins (Healthy style) Can you believe I was raised in the south and never made chicken and dumplins - I was so deprived! But on the suggestion - I had to make it to see if I could do it! The gravy part it makes is so yummy and comfort food! :)
Chicken broth with bones, chicken chunks
1 1/2 cups flour (1 cup whole wheat, 1/2 cup ap)
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
large pinch of parm cheese
3 T cold butter
3/4 cup milk
mix dry, cut in butter, add milk and parm cheese. Drop into boiling broth by little pinches (I rolled mine into balls). Boil for 10 minutes, then cover and boil for 15 more. I added about 1 cup frozen peas into mine as well. First time making them and I thought they were pretty tasty! You can definitely tell I used whole wheat flour - but they were filling! Oh, I got the basic dumplin recipe out of Betty Crocker's cookbook (I experimented with the flour, parm cheese, and peas).

No comments: