Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Snow Day Whole Grain Bread

I love snow days. We of course never got them in FL (and hurricane days during the school year were few and far between). I don't like to get out and play in it because I don't like being cold and wet - unless I'm skiing. But, I do like the random day in the middle of the week where I am earning money but staying at home! :)
Today, I have invited 2 friends over (one whose husband is on a mission trip, and the other just because i haven't seen her in forever) for lunch of homemade chicken noodle vegetable soup and whole grain bread. This is the reward for having a well-stocked pantry - fresh homemade bread that is going to smell amazing in 2 hours!

Whole Grain Bread (2 lb loaf in bread machine)

1 1/2 cup skim milk
2 T butter
2 T molasses (or honey)
2 1/3 cup bread flour
1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup kashi grain flake cereal (I found this on sale for 2.50 at Walmart the other day)
1 t salt
1 1/2 tsp yeast
1/3 cup chopped pecans (or sunflower seeds)

Layer all in in that order. Turn machine on. I used the basic med crust cycle just because I didn't have time for the whole wheat cycle. Enjoy with anything on top - this is a great basic bread. But today I am dragging out some new homemade (by family and friends): pear preserves, strawberry preserves, and apple butter - and honey and butter.

No comments: