Saturday, December 15, 2007

Gingerbread Cookies (formerly gingerbread men)

Well, I was going to make gingerbread men today with my new cookie cutter - but, I realized I didn't have enough space in my kitchen to really roll out cookies...so, I just made them circles. I got the recipe I used today off of Joy of Baking. That's a great www by the way - anything you wanna bake.

Gingerbread Cookies (and I thought of Erin when I was making them too - because she loves gingerbread)

3 cups all purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 tsp baking soda
1 3/4 tsp ginger (called for 2, but I ran out, so that is approximate)
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp each nutmeg and cloves

Mix all of these dry ingredients

1 stick unsalted butter, room temp
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
2/3 cup molasses (unsulphured - the normal kind you can find in the syrup aisle)

Cream butter and sugar, add egg - then molasses. Add in the dry ingredients.
Mix well

Spray cookie sheets or use parchment paper - 350 degrees, 9 minutes


I really didn't like the frosting recipe used with it - although it was good - a little too sweet. Maybe a royal icing would be great for these. Decorate as you would like.

I liked this recipe because it was a good spice level - some gingerbread cookies are way too ginger-y (go figure).

No comments: