Sunday, December 23, 2007

Oma's Meatballs

Today was a lesson in heritage and comfort foods. In my family, we didn't have meatballs much growing up - I can't remember when I had them. We were mostly a casserole and steak/potatoes family. But, when I got to college and met the Robshaws - Phyllis cooked some things I had never had.
Oma was Phyllis' Mom. She was always so kind to me and welcomed me into the family just as Phyllis and Billy did. One day before I left for NC - I was looking through Phyllis' recipes. Found this one. It is so good. Reminds of beef stroganoff - but in meatball form. Comfort food at its best - here in KY on a blistry winter day.

Oma's Meatballs
1 lb lean ground beef
1 pkg sloppy joe mix
1/2 cup bread crumbs (I used homemade sourdough bread crumbs) soaked in 1/2 cup water
1/2 cup sour cream
1 small can mushrooms
canola oil
flour
pepper
1/2 cup water

Mix the sloppy joe pkg, crumbs, and pepper into the meat. Form small meatballs (ping ball size). Roll in flour. Place in hot oil and brown on all sides. Turn heat down and add water. Simmer for an hour, stirring so they won't stick. Add in mushrooms and sour cream. Let heat through.
Cook noodles (I used whole wheat egg noodles).
Serve over noodles.

Phyllis - thank you for sharing your mother's recipes with me. I hope I can pass these down to my kids one day. That's what Mother's are for - both blood relative and larger family mothers!

No comments: