Thursday, February 21, 2008

Healthy Waffles (that taste good too)

I thought I would try this new recipe for a healthy waffle to see how it tasted. Who knows, right?
Some waffles I could eat by themselves, not these. They were very good (and slightly nutty and crunchy) with syrup - but I couldn't eat them without some sort of fruit sauce or syrup.
I got these out of a cookbook at the right - Family Favorites Made Lighter

1 cup flour (you could probably make it with whole wheat pastry flour or 1/2 regular, 1/2 whole wheat) - just have to play with it some to get the consistency right
3 tbsp wheat germ (gave the waffles crunchiness which I really liked (and a nutty flavor)
dash of salt
1 cup milk
1/4 cup canola oil
2 egg whites

Mix dry, stir in wet, fold in egg whites that have been beat to a stiff peak (this is where my mini battery-operated whisk came in handy).
Add to a sprayed waffle iron - about 1/2 cup (or to your manufacturer's specifications).

Like I said - they were good. It makes about 4 waffles - so good for 2 people, you can double the recipe if you want to freeze or serve more people. The recipe calls for sliced bananas and a blueberry sauce - but I just used syrup (and some of my friends use no-sugar added syrup).

Enjoy breakfast for dinner sometime - it does the entire body good (when its a healthy breakfast).

kd

1 comment:

Lauren said...

It's good to know that wheat germ adds good things to a recipe. It just sounds so gross that whenever I found a recipe with it, I just skipped the recipe all together.