Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Summer Vegetable Crockpot Soup

It is no secret that i love soup! But, summer isn't the most popular time for soups because most people don't want to eat something hot when its above 90 outside. Well, this crockpot soup is a good bridge recipe. What do I mean? It is using summer vegetables and it is a soup - so it is a good bridge from Summer to Fall. In the Fall I probably eat soup once a day (or chicken salad). So, I thought I'd start off the last full week of August by making a soup - and Kroger had homegrown local zuks and squashes on sale.

Summer Vegetable Soup
4 zuks - sliced
2 squash - sliced
1 yellow onion - sliced
16-24 oz petite diced tomatoes (depending on how soupy you like your soup
1/3 cup dry white beans
1 cup water
1 cup spaghetti sauce (I used homemade roasted red pepper and tomato sauce)
32 oz chicken or veggie broth (i used chicken)
1 T italian seasoning (I used a tuscany blend I had)
1/2 cup small pasta (last 20 minutes of cooking, stir in)

Cook on low about 9.5 hours. Enjoy with some bread and a salad.

No comments: