Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Chris' Apple Pie

Chris Flora turned 25 on Monday. I always joke with him about being so young - well...I guess not anymore. He is a life-saver to me in the office, because I pass off most students to him on questions that are not in my job description! :) He makes my life so much easier!
Chris - happy birthday - and I hope you and your wife enjoyed the pie and the caramel syrup!
Oh, and this is from a new cookbook given to me by Lindsay - Lindsay, great reviews.
Chris' thoughts on the pie: "Great crust (I can't take credit for it, I used pillsbury roll-out crusts), the apples were cooked just perfectly, tasted like a pie from the Pie Kitchen" - Thanks Chris.

Pie crust for 2 crusts (I used the Pillsbury rolled ones. I don't have room in my kitchen to roll out dough, and it is so much easier)
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
3 T flour
7 cups apples (I used a mixture of granny smith, winesap, and baking gala apples) - peeled, sliced
1 T fresh lemon juice
2 T cold unsalted butter
2 T heavy cream
1 T sugar

9 inch pie pan, roll one dough out for the bottom, pack into pie pan. Mix the sugars, flour, spices. Toss the apples and lemon juice. Mix together. Pour and arrange into pan. Chop up the butter into small chunks and place over top. Cover with other roll of dough. Cut off excess and crimp edges. Cut slits in the top. Glaze with cream and sugar.
Move rack to bottom of oven, bake at 450 for 20 minutes. Move to middle rack and cut hear to 375 for 35-45 minutes or until apples are done. Watch crust edges so they don't burn. Enjoy either ice cream, cool whip, or caramel syrup (or all the above). Let cool first for a couple of hours so the apples have time to set.

No comments: