Sunday, September 24, 2006

Chunky Minestrone Soup


I made another new soup tonight. I love soups and chilis. It is something very comforting to eat out of a bowl with a spoon. I don't know what it is - but I like it.
This recipe I adapted quite a bit from Sara Foster's book Fresh Every Day. She is the owner of Foster's Market in Chapel Hill and Durham. Great place for lunch but - their scones are really the best thing they serve especially when they are fresh. First time I went there I had a black bean breakfast burrito - one of the best breakfast things I've ever had. Anyway...as you can see the steam is still coming out of the bowl - great a nice cool evening or cold night for winters in NC (or the one rare night it gets below freezing in Central FL) HAHAHAHA

Chunky Minestrone
(serves a lot)

Olive Oil
1 large yellow onion - sliced and chopped
10 baby carrots - cut in half
1 colored pepper (I used some orange and red b/c I had them) - seeded and chopped
1 large can (28 oz) of diced tomatoes
2 small zucchini, sliced, then cut in half
4 garlic cloves - chopped
8 cups chicken broth (I used low-sodium, ff kind)
3 cups shredded chicken (I cooked a whole chicken and seasoned it with oregano and garlic)
salt and pepper to taste (salt a little while cooking then save most for table)
1/2 cup small uncooked pasta
8 oz frozen green beans - thawed
1/4 small head cabbage - shredded
3 handfuls of baby spinach leaves

Saute onion in oil over medium heat until a little bit of color is on the onions. Then add carrots, zucchini, peppers and tomatoes - let cook for about 5 minutes (low boil). Add garlic (don't brown them). Add chicken, broth, salt and pepper. Cook for about 10 more minutes. Add pasta, green beans and cabbage. Cook for about 15 minutes at a low boil or until pasta and carrots are tender. Right at the end add spinach just till wilted.

Enjoy! I served mine with torn French bread and the pear crisp. It makes a lot so you'll definitely have leftovers.

No comments: