Wednesday, September 27, 2006

I promised SUGAR COOKIES


I promised sugar cookies - so here is the recipe. These are some ones we decorated for Christmas when Michelle was here. This is her recipe. I was always scared of sugar cookies - and she made them so good - (I enjoyed them all the way through seminary).
So here ya go:
Old Fashioned Sugar Cookie
1 cup softened butter
1 1/2 cups sugar2 eggs (room temp)
1 tsp vanilla (I add a little more)
1/4 tsp salt2 tsp cream of tartar (no more or you get a funky taste) - I just learned from Alton Brown that they put this stuff on the bottom of wine corks.
2 3/4 cup all-purpose flour

Michelle uses an almond icing - fantastic
1/2 cup butter - softened
1 tsp almond extract
2 1/2-3 1/2 cups 10x sugar
3 tbsp milk

I find the icing makes a lot, and you can play with the sugar and milk a little bit till you get the consistency you want. Mix butter, then add sugar and beat till fluffy. Add in everything but the flour. Then add the flour. Cover and chill dough (or freeze for about 30 minutes). Roll out for shapes or use melon baller to round out dough balls. Cook at 375 on an ungreased cookie sheet for 8 minutes - do not over cook. Let cool before frosting.

No comments: