Sunday, September 24, 2006

Its pear-baking season!


Fall is the season for baking with pears. Last weekend I made roasted pears - which were ok. This weekend I made a healthier version of Pear Crisp - very yummy. Serving it tonight for Bible study at my house. This is adapted from a Cooking Light recipe...Enjoy it!

Harvest Pear Crisp
(I baked mine in a deep-dish 9-in pie pan)

6 Bartlett pears - peeled, cored, sliced in strips, then cut in half
Lemon juice
1/3 cup sugar
1 tsp cornstarch
1 tsp cinnamon
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
3 tbsp chilled butter - cut into small pieces
1/2 cup oats
1/2 cup walnuts

Toss cut pears with lemon juice (to prevent browning). Add sugar, starch, and cinnamon - toss with pears. Mix flour, salt, brown sugar, cinnamon together - cut in butter. Then add oats and walnuts. Sprinkle over pear mixture. Bake at 375 for 40 minutes. Serve warm with ice cream and sprinkled with walnuts and pinch of cinnamon (for presentation of course).
I added more oats and walnuts then it called for and I used the Bartlett pears solely because they were on sale. With crisps - it is all about the warmth - I love these warm out of the oven served with light ice cream (using dulce la leche tonight) and then sprinkled...with whatever.

No comments: