Monday, September 14, 2009

Taste of Asheville: Tupelo Honey Cafe


Rachael Ray can pick a winner. This restaurant appeared on her 40$ day/Asheville. I met up with some friends from Southeastern to enjoy dinner at this place.
Downtown Asheville is CRAZY at night - all little places, packed into the mountains, parking in parking garages. Beautiful night though, so we enjoyed walking around after dinner as well.
My friends got there a little b4 5 and sat in the park next to the restaurant as we waited for it to reopen for dinner at 530. The line was really long by the time they opened at 540 and we got in during the first seating. Quaint place, great service, fast service, local foods, reasonable prices. Tupelo honey comes from a tree in North Florida, so I felt a little at home!
Here is what I thought of the food:
I ordered the fried green tomatoes on a bed of goat cheese grits. The shreds of basil were awesome on this dish. The tomatoes were just ok. The grits were great - wish I could have eaten the whole thing! The pickled okra (first time for me) was great as well.
I got the southern salad with blackened free range organic local chicken. The chicken was really moist and I loved the basil vinaigrette.
The best thing: the blueberry preserves made at a local farm for the biscuits that they served. Oh my goodness - so good. Definitely could have stuffed myself on those - but practiced self-control. They were very yummy.
So, if you are looking for a good restaurant, local place, fresh food at reasonable prices, Tupelo Honey is for you!

No comments: