Thursday, January 14, 2010

Chickpea Burgers







These really should have a different name. I considered Hummus Pancakes or something fun like that, but ok - I'll leave it at that.
Always skeptical, but I shouldn't be. I love chickpeas. What I really love about these is their nutrition benefit and healthiness, the green onions, and their simplicity.
I got inspired by the recipe on Heather's blog - thanks for the recipe!

Makes 8 patties - 8 servings

2 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas
4 scallions, chopped
1 egg
3/4 cup water
2 T flour
scant 3/4 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp salt
spray olive oil (instead of regular - saves fat and calories)

I start with dry beans. Last week I took the time to cook (and mostly peel) a bag of dry garbanzo beans. Takes over night soak (no hands on time) and about 80 minutes to cook them. I really like that I can choose how done I want them. With cans, you worry about doneness and sodium.
Put all ingredients into a food processor. Let it go till combined. Spray flat griddle with olive and using a ice cream scoop - scoop these out and shape into "burgers".
Flip them after a few minutes - you'll know when they are ready - and then keep checking doneness.
These are really good and I'm going to have my first one (not just sampling) tonight for dinner.
235 calores, 4 fat, 11 protein - so filling!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love them being called hummus pancakes! Sounds delicious :)