Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Southwest Quinoa Salad

I had to think of a southwestern side dish to go with my turkey fajita rolls last night. So I searched for another healthy recipe - found this one on myrecipes.com (a great www)!
Quinoa is a grain between brown rice and grits to me. It is little round shapes that cook up 3xs as fast as brown rice and has more fiber in a serving too. I don't like to eat it plain - but love it mixed with other stuff.

Southwestern Quinoa Salad (adapted from original recipe)
1 1/4 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
2 1/2 cup water
1 can corn, drained
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can rotel (however hot you want it)
1/3 cup lime juice
1 T olive oil
1/2 tsp cumin
salt/pepper to taste
couple cilantro leaves, torn
butter lettuce

Cook quinoa in water according to directions. In meantime, prepare veggies. Mix lime, oil, cumin, s/p and cilantro - pour over veggies. Toss with cooked quinoa - serve on top of butter lettuce.
Yummy! Had more spice than I thought it would have. Today I'll have some as leftovers!

No comments: