Thursday, July 10, 2008

Curried Rice Salad

I'm really starting to like the taste of curry and apricots - and a new fave, basmati rice! Who would ever eat regular rice again after just smelling the aroma of a new package of basmati rice - there is no going back. I found a recipe that I wanted to try - but thought I would change it up a bit and make my own curried rice salad! This is a great vegetarian meal (if use you veggie stock instead of chicken stock) or put some pork/tofu/chicken in it and it can be a main dish.

1 cup basmati rice
1 small onion
turn of pan of olive oil
2+ cups of homemade chicken broth
3/4 cup fresh peas
1/3 cup slice plain almonds
1/2 cup golden raisins
10 dried apricots, chopped
1 golden delicious apple, chopped (with skin)
3/4 scant cup of plain ff yogurt
1 T curry powder
1 tsp cumin powder
1/2 tsp garam marsala
pinch kosher salt
1/2 tsp pepper

Heat oil over medium heat, saute onion. Saute rice for 2-4 minutes once onions are translucent. Add stock and bring to boil. Cover and simmer till done. Meanwhile, mix yogurt and spices. When rice is done, run cold water over it until cool. Add peas and rest of fruit. Add in yogurt mixture. Chill and serve cold (or you can serve it warm).
I liked this. It wasn't a strong curry taste so you can add more if you like. I really like the crunch of the apples in there. Basmati rice as I stated before is awesome. Get out there - try new stuff - you never know what you might like!

1 comment:

Brandi said...

Okay, please don't think I'm stupid -- I really should know the answer to this -- but what is "basmati rice"?