Saturday, October 11, 2008

Huber's Family Farm





About 30 minutes from Southern - there is a great little place (or big place) for fresh produce.
Today, Rayann, Lisa and I went to Huber's Family Farm to pick apples and other fall goodies, eat some good country cooking, and eat some pumpkin ice cream. We got there early and didn't have to wait for anything. The longest wait we had was standing in the apple orchard waiting for the tractor to come pick us up!
We picked many things. This is what I came home with: 1 bushel of Golden Delicious apples, 1/2 bushel of Staymen Winesap apples, 2 big handfuls of fresh picked green beans, 1 butternut squash, 2 acorn squash, 1 spaghetti squash, and 1 pumpkin (thanks Rayann).
For lunch we ate at the Family Restaurant. I had fried chicken, green beans, and half my sweet potato. Their chicken is amazing. Yes - it is fried. Everything in moderation! And one of their fried biscuits with homemade apple butter. Yum!
Before we ate lunch, we had dessert. I had three yummy bites of their homemade pumpkin ice cream. Almost as good as their homemade peach was this summer! Oh goodness - I'm glad I don't live close!
Anyway - go early, or reserve a place at the restaurant - you definitely don't want the buffet! Everything is better served warm.

No comments: