Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Roasted Acorn Squash with Fall Couscous




Tonight was a night of firsts for me. I had never had acorn squash and I had never made couscous - and I worked both into this dish. I got the squash from Huber's on Saturday and the couscous was a whole wheat organic from WF.
1 acorn squash, halved, scooped out
olive oil
s/p/rosemary (all to taste)
3/4 cup chicken broth (or veggie broth if you wanna go completely vegetarian)
1/2 cup couscous
2 T golden raisins
1 T walnuts
pepper
drizzle olive oil

Heat oven to 450 and roaste the acorn squash with seasonings and oil for about 30 minutes, or until desired doneness. When the squash is about done - boil broth and add couscous, turning pot over and covering for 5 minutes or until done. Add raisins, walnuts, and seasonings. Scoop some couscous into the open squash cavity to plate. Drizzle with olive oil.
To be honest, the couscous was better then the squash. I had just had an amazing experience with butternut squash, and I was a little disappointed it wasn't as tasty. It was good - maybe I'll try it a sweeter version next time (with honey and brown sugar).

2 comments:

Karisse said...

Yum. This looks good. Now that I have a kitchen I will be able to try some of your yummy looking recipes!

Anonymous said...

I had the same experience with acorn squash...I just had a yummy butternut squash phase when I acorn for the first time and it was totally anticlimactic..it's pretty good sweet though...I made it with butter and brown sugar - which probably erased all nutritional value...but I would still prefer butternut squash without adding all the bells and whistles..