Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Roasted and Broiled Veggies on Greens (2009.5)

I love salads! There isn't a lot of food I don't like - but this salad had one of those things, and I thought I would give it another shot - eggplant. This time in a way I hadn't had it before - broiled. Nope, still didn't do anything for me.
But, the salad, recipe of the week out of Salad, cookbook of the week, was a winner. I bought mozzerrella balls to go in this salad, but accidently left them in the grocery bag over night - not a good thing. Since I had some shredded romano cheese - I used that. The Mozz balls would have been better, because the cold creaminess of the cheese would have been a great contrast to the vegetables. Yet, this was still good.
The winner of the salad - the roasted garlic on the roasted sweet potatoes. Roasted garlic is sweet and amazing! Roasted sweet potatoes - almost a comfort food - pop in your mouth goodness. Warm for a really cold night! I could have eaten the whole pan, but didn't. Still have two servings left.

Roasted Garlic, Sweet Potato, Roasted Red Pepper and Eggplant Salad
2 large cloves, zested (with a zester grater)
2 sweet potatoes, sliced and cubed
pepper
olive oil
2 large red pepper
1 eggplant
romano shredded cheese (or better yet, mozzerrella)
Greens
balsamic and olive oil as the dressing

375 toss garlic and potatoes in oil and roast for 30 minutes. Toss halfway. Turn broiler on and place sliced eggplant and sliced and seeded peppers on sheet pan for 10 minutes. Put on greens (I used my favorite, organic baby spinach leaves). Dress with balsamic and olive oil, salt and pepper. Enjoy!

No comments: