Saturday, September 26, 2009

Healthy Black Bean and Chicken Chilaquiles

This will definitely be one of my fave Cooking Light recipes ever. I really enjoyed it. I will be eating it for breakfast all week. Yum. I love Mexican food and this is a winner. Spicy - definitely may need to drink some milk with it.

1 large onion, thinly sliced
3 large garlic cloves, chopped
2 cups chopped chicken (I used the balsamic roasted chicken from an earlier post)
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup chicken broth
1 7 oz can salsa de chili fresco (in the mexican aisle. I thought it was salsa till I found the named can)
15 6 inch corn tortillas (cut in strips)
1 cup 2% Mexican cheese

Spray skillet and brown the onions. Add garlic. Then chicken - cook for a minute. Take off heat and stir in black beans. Dump in another bowl. Put broth and salsa in pan and heat for 5 minutes, simmering.
11x7 pan - sprayed - layer tortilla strips then chicken mixture 2x. Then top with sauce. Then add cheese. Bake at 450 for 10 minutes until cheese is melted.

This is typically a breakfast dish - but it is great at any meal.
6 servings
293 calories, 5 fat, 5 fiber.

No comments: