Saturday, June 07, 2008

Chocolate Dark Chocolate Banana Bread

If you like not to sweet chocolate things - this bread is for you. I LOVE dark chocolate - so I used my favorite in this - Ghiradelli 60% bittersweet chocolate. Big ole chunks in this recipe I found on a blog. And I have tons of frozen bananas that I need to use.

Chocolate Chocolate Chunk Banana Bread
2 cups flour
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 stick unsalted butter at room temp
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 large eggs
2 bananas, mashed
3/4 cup buttermilk
3 oz bittersweet chocolate chunks

Mix dry in a bowl, set aside. Beat butter for about a minute, add sugars, then egg, then bananas, then buttermilk (the mix might look a bit curdled at this point, but that is ok). Then fold in dry. Then for the most important ingredient - the dark chocolate chunks.
I baked mine in 4 greased mini loaf pans for about 35-40 minutes at 350. If you bake in a regular loaf pan - grease, then bake on a cookie sheet at 350 for 45 minutes, then cover with aluminum foil so the top doesn't burn.
I ate a small slice warm out of the oven with the melted dark chocolate chunks inside - the bananas weren't overpowering. Good bread. Not too rich either - perfect if you like dark chocolate!

No comments: