Friday, April 02, 2010

Baked Grits - 2010.13





My Dad is from the South and he loves grits. So, when I knew he was staying for a few days to help me get settled here in Raleigh, I knew I wanted to make this recipe. I halved the recipe and glad I did because their serving sizes are huge! This was rich, creamy, nutty (due to Parm cheese). So good. Cooking Light has a winner here.

2 cups milk (I used skim, in a glass, from a local farm: delish)
2 cups water
pinch of salt
3/4 cup quick cooking grits (scant, I just like them thicker)
2 oz grated parm cheese (about 2/3 cup)
2 1/2 egg whites
pinch of black pepper
2 T chopped fresh chives
pinch of salt

Bring milk, water, and salt to boil. Stir in grits, turn down to simmer, cover and let cook, stirring occassionally, for 8 minutes. Meanwhile, grate cheese, seperate egg whites, chop chives.




Whisk egg whites to stiff peaks (don't over beat) with pinch of salt. Add chives, pepper, and salt to grits when they are done. Fold in the egg whites (don't deflate them). Pour in greased 8x8 pan and bake at 350 for about 25-30 minutes. Lightly browned, little wobbly in middle.




Enjoy. I cooked some eggs and decorate the plate with remaining chives.




About 200 calories - and worth it!

1 comment:

Anna said...

This sounds great. I sure do love grits. I will just have to find someone around here to eat them with. I have found they aren't that popular in this part of Texas. Maybe the next time my mom visits from Florida I can make them for her.