Monday, December 29, 2008

North Carolina Pecan Pie


My Mom's side of the family is pecan growers. Tons of pecan trees in south Georgia - loved tasting the pecans on family trips.
When I saw this recipe in my Farm Bureau Insurance magazine in October - I saved it to make for Thanksgiving. This would be my first pecan pie. We thought we had bought a pie shell, but didn't - so mom pulled together a great shortening crust (use one that you have or buy a regular crust). I also added chocolate chips to this one. It was great.
a crust of your choosing (9 in regular)
4 eggs
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup EACH light and dark corn syrup
1 1/2 T butter, melted
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
1 cup pecans, arranged on top in a circular fashion
Beat eggs, add rest. Pour into pie pan. It will go almost to the top. Sprinkle chocolate chips. Arrange pecans on top. Bake for 40-45 minutes at 350.
We made ours early Wednesday for eating on Thursday. I liked how it had plenty of time to completely set. It was yummy with cool whip!

1 comment:

test it comm said...

Nice looking pecan pie!