Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Pork, Apple, and Sweet Potato Bake

My friend, Sarah, made this for the first time I met her. I loved it then, I loved it today. I made it for my parents for a light(er) lunch during this holiday week of baking and big dinners. My cousins in Cullman, AL grow sweet potatoes, and give our family TONS of them every fall. This was a perfect dish. You can bake it in the oven for about an hour but I put it in a crock pot since we needed the oven to bake!

3 med or 6 small sweet potatoes
3-4 small-medium apples
1 lb pork sausage
cinnamon
sugar
flour
salt
water

Peel and slice potatoes and apples. Cook and drain pork. Put all in crockpot (or 9x9 pan). I put about 1/4 cup flour, 2 T sugar, 2 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp salt. 3/4 cup water. But, play with it all. I liked how it turned out today - it had a little more liquid, but then after it cooled it had set up a bit. Yummy! The pork sausage gives it great flavor - even though its not the healthiest for you - but turkey sausage doesn't quite cut it!

No comments: