Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Raisin Nut Scones (2009.34)

We are slowly getting through the year. Pretty soon I'm going to have to start doubling up on cookbooks for the week of new recipes because i'll run out of year before I run out of cookbooks.
This cookbook, the Pleasures of Tea, I received as a gift from a co-worker of mine (who also liked tea) when I left Duke back in Feb 2007. Frankie was fun to work with, even though quiet. We had some good chats in the office in Erwin Plaza. Thanks Frankie. I will enjoy continuing to read this cookbook and learn more about tea and scones - and trying new recipes later!

Raisin and Nut Scones
2 cups flour
1/4 c sugar
4 t baking powder
5 T unsalted cold chopped butter
1/4 cup skim milk
2 eggs
1/2 cup chopped nuts (I used walnuts)
1/4 cup dark raisins (I soaked mine for 20 minutes in apple juice)

Mix dry, cut in butter to form coarse meal looking mixture. Make a well in the middle. Add in milk and eggs (after mixing those together). Fold in nuts and raisins (drain off liquid if you soak them before you add them in). Stir together.
Place on greased cookie sheet (drop by spoonfuls like I do, use a scone pan, or cut out like biscuits). Let dough set for 20 minutes. Preheat oven to 400 and cook for 15 minutes.
Cool on rack

I liked these. They weren't overly sweet, but I liked both texture and taste. They are 150 cal, 7 fat, 1 fiber. Not bad for you. I like soaking raisins so they don't leave your finished product dry (because raisins can suck the moisture out of your baking project). And the tie in with apples was a good one - I didn't have grape juice which would have been better.

No comments: