Friday, June 19, 2009

Gruyere Chive Popovers (2009.24)

I have never made popovers. This recipe in W-S Small Plates would be a good addition to my strawberry salad I made for a girls' dinner in. I love gruyere cheese - with its hard to say and odd spelling name. I love its saltiness and the creamy texture - it really just melts in your mouth. yum!
The batter for the popovers is liquidy - I almost didn't know if they were going to rise, but they did. I actually should have turned the temp down on them a bit because I was using a dark mini-muffin pan. But, the flavor was great, just a little brown. Next time I'll know.
I loved the chives and cheese together - what a wonderful combination!

1 cup flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 T snipped chives
1 1/4 cup milk
2 eggs
1 T melted butter
3 oz grated gruyere cheese

Spray mini muffin pan. Mix the dry, add the wet. Fill a well-greased pan almost full with batter. Put a small amt of cheese in the middle of each one. Bake at 450 for 10 minutes, then drop temp to 350 for 8 minutes. Mine were done in 8 minutes, more than done, but I think that was caused by my dark pan. Enjoy!

No comments: