Monday, June 29, 2009

Taste of Louisville: Kayrouz Cafe

I love trying new places. And I love St. Matthews. My church is starting a new campus in St. Matthews (a 4 mile area that I live near here in the ville). So, Rayann and I tried Kayrouz Cafe, behind The Reader's Corner (a great used book store) on Willis/Breckenridge. Unfortunately, this little cafe didn't live up to all the reviews (print and personal) I had received.
Liked the decor, inside and outside table, it was hot that day so we chose the indoor route. They are definitely known for their burgers. But, I didn't want a burger. I had been told their hummus was good and everyone knows I love hummus - so we got that and a cucumber cream cheese sandwich on rye (because it was so hot outside, we wanted something cold to eat).
Hummus: platter looked pretty with warm pitas, kalamata olives, tomatoes and cuks on it. The hummus didn't live up to the platter. It was overly tart because of too much lemon in it. The texture was good - the taste wasn't right. I loved the warm pita though and that turned out to be the best part of the meal.
Cuk/Cream Cheese Salad on Rye. Think chicken salad but with cream cheese and chopped cuks all mixed together. With bacon (which I took off) on toasted rye. I actually liked the rye bread, thought that flavor went well. The salad reminded me of watergate salad (you know the kind with pistachio pudding and marshmallows). I didn't care for it. I asked Rayann how the bacon was on it and she said the flavors clashed.
So, it was ok - don't need to go there again. Both of those things with water came at 15.
So, here is a new "beef" with local restaurants. If you are really good at something and that is what you are known for - stick with that, don't venture out into other things just to broaden your menu and then have it taste horrible. Stick with what you are good at. Because when I go to a restaurant I want to be able to pick anything off the menu and have it be amazing.

No comments: