Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Vanilla Walnut Granola

I've become a huge fan of granola. But, I think it is so expensive to make - and you can't control what you put in it. If you make it yourself you can determine your likes and dislikes and how much of something you want - and it is cheaper. Which is very good at this point in our country's ecomony.
I found this recipe at a new blog I'm checking out: Cookie Baker Lynn. But, since it is a snow day and I didn't have some things but wanted to make it - I've made a few changes. I'm sure her's is great as is, but mine is tasty as well. And I like it because it makes a smaller batch.

Vanilla Walnut Granola

2 1/2 cups rolled oats
1/3 cup flax seeds (I knew these would come in handy again)
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (because I didn't have any almonds)
1/2 cup shaved coconut (because I like coconut in my granola)
1 1/2 T sugar (I didn't have any vanilla sugar)
2 T canola oil
2 T natural honey
2 T maple syrup
1 1/2 T pure vanilla extract
1 cup dried fruit.

Mix dry. Stir together wet and pour over. Spread out on lightly sprayed rimmed cookie sheet. Bake at 300 for 30-35 minutes, stirring after every ten minutes. Add in the dried fruit. Let cool and harden then store in air tight container.
I like granola as a snack at work, on yogurt, over fruit and cool whip for a nice crunch. It is healthy too - flax seeds make it extra heart healthy (along with the walnuts and canola oil).
Now that it is done: here are reviews. Definitely watch how long you cook it. I would cook it even less time. And you definitely want to add fruit - otherwise there isn't a whole lot too it! :) I like different chunks of stuff in my granola. Play with it - make it yours.

No comments: