Saturday, February 07, 2009

Foster's Chocoholic Cookies

New cookbook - gotta love it. Foster's Market Cookbook is the first one put out by Sara Foster, owner of Foster's in Durham and Chapel Hill. I can't say I've had these cookies in the cafe, but I made them tonight. If you love chocolate - there is no doubt that you will love these. Definitely use high quality chocolate as it is the main star of these cookies. They make big cookies too, but not a lot. I only changed one thing - I don't like coffee, so I left out the espresso granules. They are just fine - believe me. Thank you Sara Foster!

Chocolate Whopper Cookies
6 oz good quality semi-sweet chocolate chunks
2 oz unsweetened chocolate (I used ghiradelli - my fave), chopped
6 T unsalted butter
2 eggs
2 t good quality vanilla
3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup flour
1 t baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 3/4 cup chopped walnuts (or pecans, unsalted peanuts)
1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips

Melt the first two chocolates and butter together just until chocolate is melted, do not over cook. I had to finish melting/stirring in the butter off the stove - and it melted fine.
Mix two eggs and vanilla. Add the cooled chocolate mixture. Add dry ingredients. Fold in nuts and chocolate.
Heaping T full (1/4 cup) onto 2 greased cooking sheets. Bake at 325 for 10-12 minutes or until not jiggly. Don't overbake or they will be dry. They are gooey when warm and are delicious!
Give these away quick! And they looked just like the pictures in the cookbook!

No comments: