Sunday, February 08, 2009

Thai Lentil Soup

All the tastes of Thailand are in this soup - and it is very healthy. Two great combinations! You can either blend it all up (immersion or blender) or use a potato masher like I did.
My Mom gave me this recipe last week. My Dad, who doesn't like ginger or curry, said this was a keeper. I made it tonight - loved it. So, it is a yummy soup for sure!

Creamy Red Lentil and Squash Soup
2 T olive oil
2 small onion, chopped
2 T minced fresh ginger
2 cloves garlice, crushed
Over medium heat, saute the onion, ginger and garlic until very soft and translucent, being careful not to burn the garlic.
ADD:
2 cups dry red lentils, rinsed and drained
2 small to medium peeled, seeded, and cubed butternut squash
5 cups water
1 can (14oz) coconut milk (I used lite)
2 T curry powder
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 t nutmeg
2 tsp salt (definitely needed some more at the end, so you may want to up it or let each soup-eater taste themselves for the salt)

Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes.
Note: Only red lentils will give the correct texture in this recpe. They will disintegrate during cooking. As a bonus they digest much easier than other lentil varieties.
Mom's note: After they were done, I put the soup by cupfuls while still hot into my blender and pureed it and then put it back in the pot until we ate it. I think it would be nice with a dollop of creme fresh or sour cream in the middle of the bowl. Enjoy- oh, I found the red lentils at WHOLE FOODS!
I just waited for all to get done, then took a potato masher to it. It is good!

No comments: