Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Blueberry Coffecake Scones (2009.26)

One of the sad moments in working for a seminary is that people often leave, for good reasons. We huddle together and say goodbye to them as officemates in Baptist style - with food. One of my friends and fellow Sojourn-ites and baking blog buddies is leaving us for a great job opportunity. Even though work prevented me from attending our breakfast, I did provide some scones. People said they were pretty good and I was brought back an empty plate.
This recipe was found in a little paperback book I found at a local used bookstore. The book is Simple Scones and the recipes is Blueberry Coffeecake Scones. I got to use the fresh picked blueberries that I picked this past weekend at Hubers. LOVE fresh picked blueberries!

1 cup bread flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup regular flour (I mix the types of flour to get fluffier baking accomplished)
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 stick unsalted butter, chilled, cubed
2 large eggs
1/3 cup milk (I upped this amount to this, because I thought it was too dry at first)
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 lemon - zested
1 1/2 cup blueberries

Topping
3/4 cup flour
1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1/8 tsp cinnamon
1/2 stick butter, chilled, cubed

375, lightly spray baking sheet
Sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Cut in the butter with a knife or fork till it resembles peas. Whisk together the wet ingredients. Add together. Fold in the berries.
Drop them on the pan - I got 8. Mix topping, cutting in butter like you did for the scones. Pile on top. Bake for 25-35 minutes, watching so they don't burn. Enjoy!

No comments: