Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Taste of Louisville: El Mundo

Today I went to a new place here just a few miles from the seminary. I love close lunch places. And I love friends to go with. My friend Jenny and I went today and sat outside in their backyard next to the RR tracks (only one train came by and it was a quick one). The backyard was much quieter and the weather is outstanding today, so it was perfect! No one bothered us at all - such a calming lunch!
I got the Pan Fried Fish Tacos. Atlantic Cod that had been pan fried very lightly wrapped in warm flour tortillas with all sorts of veggies: salad greens, squash, zuks, sweet potatoes, regular potatoes, cilantro. I thought these fish tacos were much better than the other ones I've had at Bazos. My only complaint with them was the tortillas had no flavor and the filling kept falling out, so I just left them on my plate. They had a small ctr of a mayo salsa dip for it - that was excellent but only used a little. Their side of beans was a mixture of black and pinto - amazing. And their rice was a tad on the spicy side and good - but I'm not a huge fan of rice and totally not worth the calories.
Jenny got the chips and avocado for us to share. That has got to be the best quacamole I've ever had. Amazing, fresh, cool all served with warm bagged corn chips (you know the round ones you usually get with nachos at a ball park). This was the first time I haven't complained about boring chips - all because the quac was so yummy.
I love the comfy decor. Not too big, local place, friendly staff, unmatched forks, water out of a cooler, you dip your own ice from an ice chest, straws from a spinny dispenser.
Only thing I didn't like about sitting outside was that I didn't get my water refilled because I didn't want to walk back in. And the last thing - the price was a bit high, but with good food - 9$ for lunch was ok.
El Mundo - I will be coming to you again!

No comments: