Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Fresh Blackberry Cornmeal Muffins




I had my doubts with these. Not because of whose recipe I used (Sara Foster's out of Fresh Every Day) but because I had made berry cornmeal muffins before I didn't like them at all. I found they were dry with not much flavor.
These don't remind me of those other ones at all. Those others are forgetful compared to these. They are 300 calories and 15 fat a piece, but they are huge muffins - you could probably get 18 regular size muffins. I got 12 and they billowed over the tops (make sure you spray the top of the muffin pan and spray the inside of the paper liners). You don't want any of these muffins to get stuck to the pan!

1 1/2 cup flour
1 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
3/4 cup sugar (just enough to give it a hint of sweetness when paired with the blackberries)
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs
3/4 cup buttermilk
3/4 cup canola oil
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cup fresh blackberries (I picked them from Hubers on Saturday. I also put some extra, one on top in the center of each muffin - then baked them).

Mix dry ingredients. Add in wet - combine just until you don't see any more dry flour. Don't overmix. Fold in the blackberries.
Bake at 375 - for about 25 minutes. Don't overbake these. They should spring up and the knife should be clean when it comes out of the muffin.
Eat warm right away if you can. Yummy! Thank you again Sara Foster!

No comments: