Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Sweet Potato Chicken Indian Curry (2009.43)

Wow - where did the month go? It is starting to be cold and rainy here in the KY. Oh well, the fall is almost behind us.
Perfect time for Crockpot recipes - BH&G Biggest Book of Slow Cooker Recipes. This one was good - not great. I will eat it, but not serve it to other people. Funny thing is - I set it on high instead of low last night. So, this thing cooked on high for 5.25 hours instead of just 4. Thankful it wasn't burnt to a crisp!
And it is healthy. 250, 2 fat, 6 fiber. I used sweet potatoes so it may have even more fiber!

1 1/2 lbs sweet potatoes, chunked
1 red pepper, big dices
1 onion, sliced
1 lb chicken - cubed
1 can diced tomatoes
1 T coriander
1 1/2 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp ginger
3/4 tsp salt
1/3 tsp red pepper
1/2 tsp garam masala (or turmeric, but I didn't have it, so I substituted)
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp cloves
1 cup chicken broth

Layer in up to the chicken in a crockpot. Mix the tomatoes, broth, and spices. Pour over. Cook on low for 8 or high for 4.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You said the Fall is almost behind us and I gasped! I'm so not ready for that ;-)

Great recipe! I think it would still be good, even if I omitted the chicken and substituted veggie broth. Thanks!