Friday, October 09, 2009

African Sweet Potato Soup with Azuki Beans (2009.38b)

This soup is just ok. I have only really gotten one good recipe out of this cookbook. It was one of the cookbooks of the week - Cooking Light Slow Cooker. I wanted to try this recipe because my brother and sister in law are serving in Ghana, Africa right now - and it is sweet potato season - so I try to do new things with them.
I'll eat it up, wouldn't share it with anyone, may even stick it in my blender and puree it to have a smooth soup. But, this is what I learn when going through cookbooks - not every recipe is a winner.

Layer everything in a slow cooker as listed:
1 onion, chopped
2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 1/2 cup cooked small red beans (I used Azuki beans, which I found in the Whole Food bulk aisle, they tasted like black eyed peas when cooked, looking forward to my leftovers)
1 1/2 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup water
1 red pepper, seeded and chopped
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 can diced tomatoes (I used italian diced tomatoes because its I had, couldn't taste a difference)
1 small can diced chilis

Cook on low for 8 hours. When done, take out a cup of the liquid and mix with:
3 T creamy peanut butter

Toss back in. Stir. Eat. Garnish with chopped peanuts and limes if you want.
It will be good on a cold fall evening, though - anything warm and out of a bowl.

About 200 calories per cup without peanuts on top.

No comments: