Saturday, October 24, 2009

Spicy Adzuki Bean Soup







I had some leftover adzuki beans to use. And I have a fresh batch of freshly harvested sweet potatoes from my cousin's farm in AL. And I had some spinach that was desparately seeking usage! Progresso had sent me some of their chicken broth to use. And I had a can of coconut milk that had been sitting in my cupboard and thanks to Kitchen cure, I'm trying to use it up! So, here goes... (the outcome was better than I thought).
I got my inspiration from this dish - and it is fairly healthy and tasty (better than I thought it would be).

1 T canola oil
1/2 white onion, chopped
1 large garlic clove, minced
2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 1/4 cup cooked adzuki beans
1 cup chopped carrots
32 0z reduced sodium chicken broth
1 inch (or more) grated fresh ginger
1 T light sesame oil (just helps with sodium content)
2 pinches red pepper flakes
1 tsp cayenne pepper
2 cups fresh spinach leaves (1/2 bag)
1/4 cup unsweetened coconut milk

Heat oil - and cook onion and garlic. Add sweet potatoes and carrots for a few minutes. Add in chicken broth through pepper. Let simmer for about 25 minutes or until potatoes and carrots are done. Mix in spinach till wilted. Remove from heat. Add in coconut milk. Serve!



This should have some bite to it and be sweet at the same time. Good for cool fall nights.



No comments: