Sunday, October 11, 2009

Homemade Bagels










I saw these on a friend's blog - with her darling boys helping in the kitchen - and I thought - how fun, I want to try. And, my next door neighbor wanted to help today. So, we made bagels. 12 to be exact. 4 kinds: plain, poppy seed, cinnamon raisin (my fave), and cranberry vanilla.
These were easier than I thought, but time consuming. Definitely something I'll do again! Things are a good bit better when fresh and homemade. Thanks Joy!

1 1/2 cups warm water (112-115 degrees F)
2 tablespoons dry yeast
3 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon salt
4 1/4 cups bread flour
8 cups of water, for boiling
1 egg white, lightly beaten

mix ins: poppy seeds, cinnamon, raisins, etc.

Mix water, yeast, and sugar - let sit till foamy - 3 minutes. In large bowl, mix 2 cups of flour and salt - add in the yeast mixture. Knead on floured surface for about 5 minutes, gradually adding in other 2 1/4 cups flour. (I had to add about 1/4 cup more water to make the dough turn out smooth). Put in greased bowl and let rise, covered (30-60 minutes depending on house temperature). Punch down. Separate into 12 bagels (small) or 8 large. Add mix ins. Shape in bagels. Let rest about 10 minutes, covered.
Boil water and let the bagels boil for about 45 seconds each, flipping once. Drain on cooling rack.

Brush on egg white (so they glisten) - I then put the poppy seeds on top of those.

Let bake about 30 minutes or until lightly browned. Mine didn't take as long. So, turn them once during cooking and monitor them.
The cinnamon raisin ones were so good. I took a bit and told my friend - they taste like a bagel! Understatement of the day. Now, if I could only have the recipe for Panera's gingerbread bagel!





Thanks Joy!

1 comment:

Denise said...

Those bagels look yummy!! I've only done the homemade english muffins, but I've been wanting to try the homemade bagels. The time factor has been what's stopped me so far. Can't wait to try them!