Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Cranberry Muffins (2009.42a) - Jared Coffin House in Nantucket

I finally used this Baking in America cookbook that a dear friend here in the Ville gave me. And I actually am going to use it again tonight. So, I am hoping the second recipe turns out as good as the first recipe.
I made the Cranberry Muffins from Nantucket (from this hotel). They turned out light, fluffy, and mildly tart from the cranberries. The directions I found to be a bit hard to follow - so I just simplified and used a regular muffin how-to. I liked them. Again, may cut down on the sugar I sprinkle on top, but that's about it.

12 muffins

2 cups flour
2 t baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp grated nutmeg (I used fresh)
1 3/4 fresh or frozen cranberries (I used more than their 1/2 cup), chopped in a food processor
1 egg
1 egg yolk
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 stick softened unsalted butter
1/4 cup crisco
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup plus 2 T milk

Mix dry, set aside. Cream together creamables. Add in the milk. Add in dry. Fold in cranberries. Sprinkle about 2 tsps of sugar over the top of the muffins (not 2 T)
Spoon into greased muffin tins. Bake at 350 for abtou 25 minutes or until lightly browned and a knife comes out clean.
Enjoy!

No comments: