Thursday, September 11, 2008

Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting

I love to bake for birthdays! Tonight is no different. Today is one of my prof's birthdays: Dr. Wilder. He is the associate dean for our doctoral program and many other things as well. One down side - he is a UGA fan. Good thing - he knows great places to eat in ATL.
Well, I thought I would make him a carrot cake. I've had this carrot cake recipe for over 10 years now. I got it from a lady who worked(s) in the youth ministry at Anastasia Baptist Church named Jari Strom. Her son, Bryce, was in my SS class and her and her husband served every week in some fashion or another. They are such sweet people - always an encouragement.
I've only had one carrot cake better than this - and that is a hot one that J. Alexander's here in Louisville serves. But, I love this one! Dr. Wilder - happy birthday. I hope you and your family enjoy this cake (even though there isn't much healthy stuff in it - except the carrots and pineapple).

2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cup canola oil
4 eggs
2 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 cups fresh grated carrot (do it right before you put it in, you get a more moist cake)
2 cups (2 8 oz cans) crushed/drained pineapple
1/2 cup chopped pecans

Mix the wet (eggs one at a time), add the dry, fold in the extras. Heat oven to 350 and spray 9x13 pan with pam. Pour in and bake for 45 minutes or until done. Let cool.

Frosting:
2 sticks butter, room temp
1 block cream cheese, softened
1 box powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla

Mix and lather on cake. Top with remaining grated carrots and chopped pecans. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kim, what a joy to read this and know that you are well and the carrot cake recipe lives on - it is still my favorite, too! You are so missed by your family at ABC so it is special to have this link to you. If you are ever in St. Augustine, our door is open to you - we love you! Jari & family

Dermott Dessert said...

Jari,

I had no idea you could cook.

Dermott Dessert