Sunday, October 18, 2009

Butternut Squash Waffles (2009.40) - Updated




Wow - this year is going by quickly. I took the squash waffle recipe in Joy of Cooking and made them butternut squash recipes. These will be for breakfast. Should have put more cinnamon in them - or maybe a tad more sugar. I think they will be good with maple or honey on top or cool whip and craisins. We shall see. They will go in the freezer for a quick breakfast.
Update: I have had these the past two mornings (when my oatmeal ran out) - I have topped them with a little TJ Pumpkin Butter, cool whip (1st day), 365 Grade B Maple Syrup, and (today) some Nature's Path Pumpkin Flex Granola for some added crunch. So yummy
The batter is definitely more liquid than I thought but they turned out good - although could stand more flavor.

1/2 cup squash puree (butternut or sweet potato)
3 eggs
1 1/2 cup skim milk
2 T applesauce (instead of butter)
1 cup whole wheat flour (instead of regular)
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
2 T sugar
1/8 tsp cinnamon or nutmeg (more, or maybe a little of both)

Stir altogether. Cook according to waffle maker. I got 7 square.

No comments: