Sunday, October 18, 2009

Pumpkin Spice Cake (2009.39)

My Mom was in town and she helped me make this week's recipe. It came out of an older cookbook that she had found at a yard sale or book sale or something. Its called The Spice Cookbook. What do I like about it is the old pencil drawings and much information about so many spices.
What I didn't like about it was this cake (not really). I made it for a cake walk. I used the Cinnamon Cream Cheese frosting from last month's red velvet cupcakes. This cake was a little dense and dry for my liking. I did however like the flavor of it - thought the spice level was good. The only thing we changed in this recipe was the mace for nutmeg (this was not worth buying a whole jar of mace).

Made 1 9x13 cake

2 cups sifted cake flour
1 1/2 cup light brown sugar
3/4 tsp salt
2 t baking powder
1/4 tsp soda
1/2 tsp cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg
1 tsp ginger

1/2 cup shortening
3/4 cup pumpkin
2 eggs
1/4 cup milk

Sift first ingredients together. Add in shortening and pumpkin. Add eggs and milk at end. Pour into greased cake pan(s). 375 for about 30 minutes or until done (depending on what pan you use).

No comments: