Saturday, October 24, 2009

Roasted Mashed Banana Squash


A few weeks ago I bought a new type of squash when I was out apple picking with Cynthia. I finally tried it. I was going to try it roasted - savory. But, I didn't think it really had a lot of flavor, so I ended up mashing it - thinking it will be a great side dish with some pork chops. Turned out well.

1/2 large banana squash, seeded
Olive oil
Sage
Kosher salt
2 T unsweetened coconut milk

I wouldn't peel the squash till after it is roasted and cooled. Much easier. Lay out the sliced squash on a baking sheet. Sprinkle with sage and drizzle with evoo. Bake in a 425 oven about 25 minutes or until you can easily poke a fork through them. Let cool so you can mash them out of the peel. Mash with a fork or potato masher. Add salt and coconut milk. Mash all together. Eat.Great way to get in another type of fall/winter squash.

No comments: