Sunday, October 18, 2009

Cranberry Shortbread Bars





These are great! I love the Joy of Baking website - can't go wrong with things on there. I had to take a dessert for a potluck after church in Cincinnati. Last year I took an apple cake. I wanted to go with something more portable and still fall-y. These were just the thing. My Dad liked them too and took one for the road.
Last year a friend of mine gave me 2 bags of cranberries so I had these in my freezer. Perfect. Just thaw and bake.
Mom and I had fun with these. I made the filling, she creamed the shortbread.

8 oz fresh cranberries (thawed if frozen) - 2/3 of a bag really or 2 1/4 cups
2/3 cup sugar
3 T water
2 cups flour
2 T cornstarch
1/4 tsp salt
2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
1/3 cup light brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla.

Boil first three together till thick - about 5 minutes. Let cool.
Cream the rest.
Press 2/3 of the dough into a greased 9x9 pan. Pour filling on top leaving a little room around the edges. Crumble up the remaining dough on top. Bake at 375 for 30 minutes. Cool a bit. Cut into 16 squares. Let cool completely.
YUM! The tart and the creamy not-too-heavy shortbread are a perfect combination!




No comments: