Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Just OK Turkey Vatapa - 2009.9

I can cook Brazilian! ha!
Well, for the recipe of the week this week - Cooking Light 2003 - mom and I cooked a Brazilian dish to use up some roasted turkey breast (that was really dry when I bought it, but didn't want to waste it). I don't think its the best soup I've ever had - not even in the "I want to make this again" basket - but it is edible and I will eat it so it doesn't go to waste. And it is healthy for you - so that is probably the best thing about it.

Turkey Vatapa
1 tsp olive oil (or peanut)
1 small onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves
1 inch peeled grated fresh ginger
1 jalapeno, diced and seeded
1 cup water
1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
1/4 cup dry roasted peanuts, ground
3 cups turkey, chopped or shredded cooked
1 can coconut milk (I used a whole can, you were only supposed to use 1/2 cup - so that could be something - always read the recipe)
parsley and cilantro, chopped to taste
1 lime - juice

Heat onions, garlic,. Add ginger and pepper - add water and toms. Add everything else - let simmer. End with fresh herbs, lime juice, and s/p to taste. It gets better with time - but again, just ok, not even in the good category.
Can't wait to see what I'll make next week!

No comments: