Monday, April 13, 2009

Whole Wheat Dinner Rolls

First time! They turned out! Yeast dinner rolls! So excited!
The last food blog that entered my google reader today before leaving work was from My Wooden Spoon. When I started out the day I wasn't intending on making bread. But...it felt like a good day to do it.
I've never had success with rolls - but yeah - I did. And i just made a couple of adjustments from talking with a professor bread king at work and it worked great. And I made them a little healthier! Tomorrow I'll have one with some cherry butter and an egg white - gave the rest away. Saved 2 for Mom when I see her in May.

2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast (or 1 packet)
1/4 cup very warm water
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1 cup scalding hot skim milk
1 egg
1 tsp kosher salt
2 cups whole wheat flour
2 cups all-purpose flour

Add yeast and water - stir till yeast is dissolved. Heat milk. Melt in butter, honey, and salt till butter is completely melted. Pour into yeast and water. Add egg. Fold in flour. Knead for about 5 minutes. Put in well-oiled bowl. Let rise until doubled (covered near a warm place). Punch down, knead for about 5 minutes. Pull and roll into 18-24 rolls. Put in a greased 9x13 pan. Cover and let rise again. Bake at 375 for 18-20 minutes. When done, pour butter on top (about 2 tbsp melted butter). Serve warm!

No comments: