Thursday, December 10, 2009

12 Days of Christmas Baking - Day 10 - Biscotti


Lauren and I met through her husband who works at the Seminary. Lauren is a fantabulous cook and mother. We have many conversations about waht recipe we are cooking and what Food Network stars we like.


So when I was thinking about the most favored holiday baking recipe in our family I immediately thought of EVERYONE's favorite recipe: Ricotta Cookies. However my mother has made me solemnly swear to never give that one away! So I chose my other most requested cookie:

Cranberry Almond Biscotti. To this day I still deliver a batch to a few dear families from the first church Heath was on staff at here in Loiusville. Although the traditional biscotti I grew up on in my large Italian family contained some form of anise, these don't so they have much more broad appeal. Everyone always asks for these (including my hubby who is prone to depleting my final product:)


1 3/4 c all purpose flour
1 1/2 t. baking powder
1/4 t. salt
2 large eggs
3/4 c sugar
3 T unsalted butter melted and cooled
1/4 t almond extract
1 c dried cranberries
1/2 cup slivered almonds (OR white chocolate chips- a delicious variation)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.

In a large mixing bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. In a medium bowl beat the eggs with sugar at medium speed until pale and creamy approx. 3 min. Beat in the butter and almond extract. Pour the egg mixture over the dry ingredients and stir until combined. Stir in the dried cranberries and almonds (or white cc).
Using slightly floured hands, shape the dough into 3 slightly flattened 10 inch logs on the prepared baking sheet
Bake for thirty min. or until golden. Let the logs cool slightly.
Using the serrated knive slice the logs 1/2 inch thick on the diagonal. Serve This makes about 2 dozen.
That is where I stop! most people will go on to the last step which is to bake them again. Everyone I know LOVES these because they are not hard as rocks like most of the biscotti you buy. Literally no one in my large Italian family double bakes their biscotti...They are SOOO much better this way. But if you want to make them hard...(notice my lackluster endorsement)Arrange them back on the baking sheet cut side up and bake for another 10 min until golden and crisp. Let cool completely before serving. Enjoy!


I look forward to making these. I love biscotti! Thank you Lauren

No comments: