Friday, December 04, 2009

12 Days of Christmas Baking - Day 4 - Cranberry Apple Salad



This girl has provided much wisdom in the last few years of my life (and laughs, and recipes, and talks, and food, and anything else you can think of). I am truly grateful for her. She provides you with a recipe that you can use throughout the holiday season - that's why you always need to keep cranberries on hand (because you can only find them this time of year in the produce section). (This is a picture of the dessert and of Leah and her precious son. Quick story. I visited with Leah and her family the day B was due, but he wasn't going anywhere. He came the next day. I chose this picture because it shows Leah's affinity and closeness with her son, and daughter as well. She loves being a Mom and wife!)

The Cranberry-Apple Salad is a dish unique to my family. It contains chopped cranberries and apples mixed with mini marshmallows and some whipped topping. The end result is a fluffy, beautifully pink concoction unlike anything you have had before. When I was growing up, I was a very picky eater, did not actually eat the salad (my youngest brother ate enough for all of us!), and really never thought I would make it when I was “on my own”. The first year that Nathan and I were in seminary, we could not travel home for Thanksgiving or Christmas. I was devastated, and greatly missed my family. Two other couples who were good friends of ours were not traveling, so we decided to have Thanksgiving dinner together. That meal with the Sperdutos and the Russells is one of my fondest memories—we had such a great time! I knew when we discussed sides that I had to make my mom’s Cranberry-Apple Salad, even if I didn’t eat it. Here’s the secret though: as an adult, I made it myself, tried it, and really liked it! And since then, though we still do not travel home for Thanksgiving, I make the Phillips Family Cranberry-Apple Salad for almost every Thanksgiving!


Phillips Family Cranberry-Apple Salad
2 cups cranberries
1 apple, pared and cored
1/2 cup sugar
2 cups mini marshmallows
2 cups Dream Whip (found with Jell-O)
Chop cranberries and apple using a mini chopper or food processor. Stir together cranberries, apples, sugar and mini marshmallows. Refrigerate overnight. The next day, prepare Dream Whip according to package directions. Fold Dream Whip into cranberry mixture. Serve immediately. This salad is a pretty pink color that can only be appreciated in person!

No comments: