Sunday, December 13, 2009

Maple Coconut Blondies


I first started making blondies about a year ago. Why didn't anyone tell me to make them sooner? Well, this is another recipe that I wish I had come up with. I mean, I love maple. I remember one of my roommates my freshman year of college, Becky, lived in maple land (NH) and brought us all maple candy for Christmas presents. Then, the first season I worked at W-S for the holidays, I bought a tin of maple syrup. Its pointless to go back to pancake syrup anymore. Now, I use 365 brand at Whole Foods.
On to the coconut...I have always loved it. Coconut cake, cream pie, macaroons - not much coconut I don't like. The above picture is a friend of mine, Lori, when we were in Asia drinking raw coconut juice - just a bit different than the stuff I baked these with today.
I just had to lick the spoon to know these are going to be great. I got the recipe from Baking Bites www - she also has a new cookbook out if you wanna get a great little Christmas present for the baker in your life.
Enjoy! These are going to the office tomorrow. These are so easy - 1 bowl. less than 5 minutes to oven!

1 stick unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup maple syrup (really, please do maple fans a favor and don't use Aunt Jemima - save her for your pancakes if you have to)
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 egg
1 cup ap flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup shredded coconut

Mix all together. Fold in coconut. Bake in greased 8x8 pan at 350 for 30-35 minutes. Cut into squares.
Sprinkle with coconut for a festive touch.

No comments: