Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Molasses Maple Ginger Cake (2009.46)

Ok - I've fallen a little behind - just because I don't have anything to make out of these last few cookbooks and I'm making tried and true recipes these last few weeks for the holidays. But, I'll try to squeeze some out here.
This is out of a new cookbook I won at Taste and Tell's blog - Get Cooking is the name of it. Some good recipes, pictures with almost all if not all of them. Great instructions in this cookbook for the novice cook - so if you are just starting out or know someone who is young and getting married with little to no cooking experience - this might be a good choice.

I ran out of molasses so I had to change the ingredients and therefore changed the name too. It was Gingery Gingerbread, but I changed the name. My friend said "I like the bite in it. It is subtle, but then Pow - you get the spice in your throat at the end".

1 stick softened unsalted butter
3 cups flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon
1 T ginger
1/2 tsp cloves
3 T grated fresh ginger
2/3 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup molasses
1/4 cup maple syrup
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cup buttermilk

Mix dry, cream wet. Alternate adding the dry with the wet - alternating the buttermilk. Till all combined. Pour into sprayed 9x13 pan and cook in a 350 (325 glass pan) oven for 35-40 minutes.
Let cool. Serve with anything: cool whip, powdered sugar, lemon curd, chocolate ice cream, whatever you fancy!

No comments: