Friday, December 11, 2009

12 Days of Christmas Baking - Day 11 - Cornflake Wreaths


Second to the last day...This has been fun. This one is definitely a fun one that you can do with kids of all ages! :) My friend, Lorrie, gave me this one. Lorrie is one of my many bosses, but more importantly, she is my friend.


This is one of a very few recipes I received from my Dad’s mother before she was no longer able to cook. She passed away just days before I moved to Louisville for seminary, so things from her are very tied to the current chapter in my life. I adjust the recipe when I make them so that the wreaths are truly green. Mine end up looking more like piles of holly leaves with berries than wreaths. Grandma Francis was a good cook, but not a great baker. This no-bake recipe is an easy one for the busy holiday season, even for those who are not very handy in the kitchen and a great one to get kids involved with.


Christmas Wreaths

¾ stick of butter or margarine
1 bag of marshmallows
½ teas vanilla
½ teas almond extract
1-2 teas green food coloring (or to desired color)
4 C corn flakes
Cinnamon candies (Red Hots)

Melt butter and marshmallows on stove. Once melted, mix in vanilla, almond extract and food coloring. Add corn flakes and coat thoroughly. Dip onto wax paper covered cookie sheets/trays and form into wreaths as desired. Add candies for trim. Let set until firm then enjoy. Yield is based on personal preference for size.

No comments: